That time of the month.
Being on the rag.
Mother Nature’s monthly gift.
A visit from Aunt Flo.
Shark week. (my least favorite)
Ladies, let’s talk about our periods.
I kind of hate that people are so scared or embarrassed to talk about their periods. I have every intention of doing another post directed towards men, but that’s for another time.
Anyway, I always find it annoying and fascinating at the same time so one day I decided to google facts about periods and learned so many incredible things! I had to dedicate a post to this and educate all of you as well!
- Your period makes you friskier than usual.
YUP! It’s true ladies! Let’s get it on this week!!!
- The average total amount of blood lost during a period is anywhere from two tablespoons to half a cup.
That’s a lot less than I thought, honestly.
- Your period turns you into a shopaholic.
I’m not sure how true this one is but a professor for the University of Hertfordshire surveyed nearly 500 women (which in my eyes is not enough) about their spending habits in correlation with their menstrual cycles. More than half women who were in the late states of they cycle admitted they had bought something on impulse. Interesting…
- Your period, obviously, requires your attention and the use of tampons or pads.
Well, duh! Did you know 70% of all American women use tampons? It’s estimated that on average a woman will use more than 11,000 tampons in her lifetime.
- Women in Western cultures will experience about 450 periods over their lifetime.
- The average woman will spend nearly 10 years of her life menstruating.
OMG! That is an insane amount of time! 10 whole years, now I understand the 450 periods over a lifetime.
- You can get pregnant during your period!
Repeat after me ladies, you can get pregnant during your period!
- People in The Middle Ages believed periods caused red hair.
They thought the child to be conceived in “unclean sex” or during menstruation.
- Periods can make you bleed from OTHER parts of your body – not just your uterus/vagina.
Vicarious menstruation is a rare medical condition where a woman bleeds from her nose, ears, eyes, skin, or lungs rather than the uterus. Which sounds awful, I’m so sorry to anyone that has to deal with this.
Do you have any other interesting facts? Send them over to me at email@example.com