As a woman living in the Bay Area, I am fortunate to get to see true progress when it comes to gender equality. However, I know there is still so much work that needs to be done. I came up with a few ideas I try to live by and remind myself of all the time.
- Stand your ground whether that’s with friends, family, coworkers, strangers you meet, or your partner. There’s no reason you should be a doormat just because you are a woman.
- As women, we must support, encourage, empower, believe, and trust other women. Our communities will only make us stronger. EMPOWERED WOMEN EMPOWER WOMEN.
- Wear whatever you feel comfortable in! Someone is going to judge you whether you’re dressed conservatively, in leggings, or in a mini skirt. Fuck ’em!
- It’s okay to be loud; it’s not a biological trait of females to be quiet or soft spoken.
- It’s okay to be intelligent and show it off. You should be proud of how smart you are!
- It’s okay to be bossy. People are going to complain, call you a bitch, yell at you, tell you to learn your place, etc. At the end of the day the things I regret the most are being silent when I should have stood my ground.
- Ask for what you deserve but also ask for what you want; the worst they can say is no.
- Never, ever be ashamed of being a victim of sexual violence. There are women and men who believe you and will stand up and fight for you. None of what happened to you was your fault.
- Stop saying you’re sorry for everything, for little things, for big things! If you didn’t impact the person personally and/or you truly aren’t sorry, don’t say it. I don’t know about you, but this is honestly one of the hardest habits for me to break. I constantly catch myself saying “I’m sorry” to men when they tell me they’ve had a bad day, work is hard, their upset, and the list goes on.
- It’s okay to be disappointed in your sex life. Don’t fake orgasms! Don’t pretend like you like it. Make sure your needs are met. More importantly, DON’T HAVE SEX WITH SOMEONE YOU DONT WANT TO HAVE SEX WITH OR FEEL COERCED TO HAVE SEX WITH.
I would love to hear if you have any others to add to the list!