To follow up with my Ending Sexual Violence post I wanted to share this.
I came across an article from Oct 22, 2017, on Buzzfeed that I thought was fucking fantastic. I had to share it with all of you here.
The premise of this post was letting the world know they may be part of the problem. There are certain things you may have done that count as harassment and they wanted to make sure everyone knew about them. The only thing I didn’t like about this article was that it was obviously pointed at men and the things they do. Women can also be the perpetrators, not nearly as often but it does happen, which is why I simply changed the adjectives to their list instead of just copying and pasting their list.
Here is Buzzfeed’s list of things that if you’ve done any of them, it counts as harassment:
HAVE YOU EVER….
- Looked at them in a way that made them visibly uncomfortable?
- Looked at their chest or genitals while talking to them?
- “Stolen” a kiss?
- Followed a man/woman you’re interested in, even if you don’t know them?
- Spied on an ex in any capacity (including “cyberstalking”)?
- Made a comment about their body when they didn’t ask you to?
- Touched a man/woman you didn’t know without his/her consent?
- Touched a man/woman you know without his/her consent?
- Took photos of them without their knowledge or consent?
- Shared intimate pictures that he/she sent you, without their consent?
- Threatened to share intimate pictures that he/she sent you?
- Insisted on taking them out, even though they already said no?
- Tried to hook up even though he/she may have been too intoxicated to consent?
- Manipulated them into sleeping with you?
- Asked about his/her sex life, unprompted?
- Threatened a girlfriend/boyfriend so he/she wouldn’t end the relationship?
- Forbade them from going to certain places?
- Forbade them from wearing certain kinds of clothes?
- Forbade them from talking to specific people?
- Told someone he/she was harassed because of the way he/she dresses?
- Offered them a job just because they are “hot?”
- Tried to hook up with he/she and only stopped when you found out that they had a girlfriend/boyfriend?
- Failed to get explicit consent before sexual contact?
- Made sexual remarks about a man/woman with your friends?
- Told men/women who say they’re harassed every day that they’re exaggerating?
- Felt betrayed by a man/woman you go out with doesn’t end up sleeping with you?
- Tried to hook up with one of your students?
- Tried to hook up with one of your employees?
- Tried to use your position of power to hook up with someone?
- Apologized to someone for flirting with their boyfriend/girlfriend?
- Encouraged two women or two men to kiss?
- Inappropriately touched someone you’re dancing with without his/her explicit consent?
- Believed that a man/woman is a slut based on the number of sexual partners he/she has had?
- Sent him/her a picture of your genitals when she did not ask for it?
- Blamed alcohol for your behavior around women/men?
- Kept your mouth shut about a friend who has abused someone?
- Sent him/her a link to a porn video without him/her asking for it?
You can check out the actual article in full here.
Know that you know some of the things that do count as sexual harassment STOP! If you see someone doing them, STEP IN! If you are a victim SPEAK UP! Let’s end sexual violence.