In honor of Mother’s Day:
Every single mom has those horror stories about the insane comments people say to you while pregnant, a mom to babies, a mom to toddlers, a mom to school-aged children, a mom to pre-teens, and a mom to teens. I do not have any experience with comments to school-aged children and older but I have had my fair share of comments already.
- You look tired. Ummm… go fuck yourself. Who do you think you are? You don’t look like a dime either!
- What do you do all day? (for a stay at home mom) Do you ever see your kids? (for a working mom) Both lives are hard. They each have different struggles and if you have never been in their shoes just shut up! I have done both and both are difficult. Both come with their own set of challenges and sacrifices.
- Why didn’t you (insert task here) today? Do you know what I deal with all day? Have you ever spend all day with toddlers? You try and clean and they immediately come behind you with another tornado of a mess. Or have you ever tried to shower with two toddlers? They will get in the toilet, tear up the toilet paper, get in your makeup, etc. Or have you ever tried to have a life when you have multiple kids in different sports? You’re basically a glorified uber driver with no time for yourself.
- Sleep when the baby sleeps. Ah, the age-old advice to every new mother. Yeah, that would be great but there is so much that needs to be done around the house. Who else is going to do it? Are you going to come over and clean my house and do my laundry and make dinner? No, I didn’t think so.
- It only gets worse as they get older. One, thanks for making me feel even worse than I already do, dick. Two, maybe it did for your kids because they are ass holes. Three, everyone has different strengths. Some people can deal with teenagers much better than others. And some people can be considered as baby whispers. Every child is different and every parent is different so quit trying to scare us young parents!
- Oh my, you have your hands full. Are you trying to say I can’t handle my children? Are you saying I have too many kids? Are you saying my kids are being brats? Thanks for your input but no thanks.
- Enjoy this time. Enjoy what? I’m supposed to enjoy the smacking, hitting, screaming, back talking, mini me walking around outside of my body? Umm…. how? Please enlighten me on how much you enjoyed your child’s early years.
- Are you loving it? Who is going to say no? No normal parent is going to admit they are not loving being a parent, but that shit is hard. EVERYONE has ups and downs while parenting. You love your kid/s but god damn it, they can test you every single day!
Obviously, most of these pertain to parents with younger children because that’s all I know right now. What are some things people have said to you that caused you to take 3 deep breaths before responding?
Anyway, Happy Mother’s day to all the wonderful mothers out there! You are all superheroes!!! ❤